måndag 24 november 2014

Kadri day and beautiful people

They often say that Estonian people are very beautiful. I agree, they are! They've got a certain "Estonian look" and I would say in general, these are attractive people. 
Anyway, speaking of appearance.... I'm surprised that the Estonians are not fat! There are so many delicious looking cakes and pastries in the stores! And I keep thinking, they shouldn't be there unless people actually buy them. So I'm wondering... how do they do it? Eat just a tiny bit? Pretend to eat? :)

So... tonight was funny. There is a phone next to my door, that rings when someone outside the building presses the number of my apartment. When I picked up to let them in, I heard kids voices saying kadriiii... and I was like oh... they don't know..!
Kadri is the name of the woman I'm renting the apartment from, and I thought they don't know that she doesn't live here now.
I open the door and there are two girls, of which one looks a bit like a "påskkärring" as we say in Sweden. And they say tere! (hi) and something about Kadri. I'm just saying that I am renting this place from her and asks if they speak English. One of them does. A tiny bit. 

I spoke to Kadri after this visit, and was informed that today is Kadri day (St Catherine's Day) in Estonia. Kids dress up like old ladies or kadrimonsters and ask for candy. They are dancing or singing and throwing some "happiness" or good luck inside peoples homes. 

This is a really cool tradition! But I googled it and according to Wikipedia, it's also got a strong (?) feminine aspect to it. This is nothing I knew about. Perhaps not surprising since I don't really read newspapers yet. And nobody at work mentioned it :D

And.. there is actually a monastery here in Tallinn named St Catherine's Monastery. It's located in Old town. I really should have posted a picture of it, but unfortunately I don't have any yet.
Instead, I've got a picture of a beautiful church not far from here, that I saw the other night when I was out walking. As I was heading to a bus stop, I didn't have time to go and find its name, so I can't tell you which one it is. But it's beautiful, right? :) 
Tallinn has so many churches! 

Now off to relax and go to bed! Good night Estonia ♥



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar